MetroFlex Acoustic Barrier is a flexible, non-reinforced mass loaded vinyl that resists the passage of sound waves and reduces the transmission of airborne noise. Metroflex Mass Loaded Vinyl Sound Barrier is 1/8" Thick (1 lb/sf) and has an STC rating of 26 which when installed properly performs simliar to a 2" x 4" wall with 5/8" drywall on each side of the wall.
MetroFlex Mass Loaded Vinyl can provide instant mass with damping to any location and create a sound seal from room to room. In walls, ceilings, floors, on machinery, household appliances, around pipes, exterior fences, doors, as curtains to divide a room or over a window, and so on.
PHYSICAL PROPERTIES of MF-10
Weight: 1 lb / sq ft
Tensile Strength: 400 psi
Tear Strength: 77 lbs
Ultimate Elongation: 200%
Flammability: SE "0" in/min.
Temperature Range: -40°F to 225°F
Note: For best results use MetroFlex Mass Loaded Vinyl in conjunction with Roxul AFB inside the studs.
1. Measure the height of the wall and cut the MLV the height of the wall with a razor knife.
2. The width of the material is 48", which will cover 2 sections of 24" wide framing or 3 sections of 16" wide framing. (attempt to have joints land on studs when possible).
3. Drape the strip of MLV to be intalled from the top of the wall making sure the MLV is hanging straight. Hammer in 4-8 MetroFlex MLV Nails into the top wooden header/joist.
4. Use MetroFlex MLV Nails to attach the rest of the MLV to the studs all the way to the floor.
5a. When two pieces of MLV meet on the stud, cut the pieces so they meet flush in the middle of the stud (do not overlap on a stud). Then use MetroFlex Sound SealR Sealant to seal the gap on the stud. Smooth out the Sound SealR Sealant so it is flush with the MLV and seal up with MetroFlex SealR Tape.
5b. When two pieces of MLV do not meet on a stud, overlap the two pieces of MLV (approx 2"-3") and use small strips of MetroFlex SealR tape to horizontally tape the two pieces together every foot. (first put the strip of tape on the underneath peice of MLV and pull forward before tightly taping to the overlapping piece of MLV.) Once the space between the overlap joint is reduced use a large bead of MetroFlex Sound SealR sealant inbetween the overlapping pieces. Use a strip of SealR tape to vertically seal the overlap joint. (cut out overlapping material on top and bottom of studs so drywall is not uneven when installed over the MLV.
5. Caulk all gaps and spaces that are left exposed with Sound SealR Sealant, especially the space between the ceiling and the MLV as well as the floor and the MLV. Any gaps left exposed will reduce the structural STC rating, and create a noise channel through that opening.